We thought that we would try to devote the next meeting to a topical subject. Have you got any suggestions? We will not decide until nearer the date.
We also need to think about topics for meetings after that. Some of FR the attendees aired ideas in the Swan after the last meeting and here is a summary of what I think was suggested:
- Why should the majority of people suffer because of stupid things done to the economy over which they had no control?
- How much are positions of influence dominated by pupils from independent schools? Does it matter? and what can we do about it?
- What would be the effect on our culture if contact was made with an extraterrestrial?
- Are genetically modified crops intrinsically bad?
- Is our obsession with technology undesirable?
- On the one hand there are not enough jobs, on the other jobs are being lost to automation. Where is the joined up thinking? What is leisure for anyway?
- The “left” tends to be divided because it sees many paths to making the world a better place, but disagrees about what they are. The “right” is united in following the single path of keeping power in the hands of the rich, for the benefit of the rich. What is the way forward? (Or is this an over-simplification?)
- To invite Matthew O’Callaghan, prospective Labour Parliamentary candidate to answer questions.
What do you think? Please let us know via the comments box below or send an email on the contact page [click here].
Are you particularly interested in discussing any of these topics? or do you think some of them would be inappropriate or boring? Do you have any other suggestions?